Saturday, March 17, 2018

Bananas

In my introductory post, I promised to tell you why bananas are picked at night. It was a question I had pondered, but had never researched. There are actually two reasons why bananas are picked at night. The first is that light starts the ripening process. For bananas that are sold commercially, it is best for them to be as green as possible when they get to the store. Since they continue ripening after being picked, the stores don't want loads of ripe bananas that will go bad before they are purchased. 
The second reason that bananas are picked at night is that they are grown in very hot climates. Picking bananas at night offers the banana pickers some relief from the sun and heat. 

In closing, I leave you with a question. What do you consider the perfect ripeness of a banana?

4 comments:

  1. I'm just going to leave this here...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=50&v=6Tou8-Cz8is

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha exactly! This song came on in the car and I said I had never really paid attention to the fact that he was picking bananas at night. Why did he do that? And then "squirrel!" and I never looked it up until I researched for this post :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't believe you at first. I had to go Google it for myself. That's an interesting fact.

    ReplyDelete