Thursday, April 26, 2018

Food Superstitions

For this post, I thought it would be fun to look at some superstitions involving food. Some you may already know, but maybe you will learn some new ones. Enjoy!

~Giving somebody an orange makes them fall in love with you
~If you put milk in your tea before sugar, you may never get married
~If you catch the bubbles in your coffee with a spoon and eat them, you will unexpectedly come into money
~In Brazil and Italy, eating lentils at the New Year will bring good luck for the year
~Giving parsley as a gift brings bad luck (who does that?)
~If you cut open a loaf of bread and see a hole, someone will die soon
~Also, if you don't cut a cross into the top of your loaf before baking, the devil will sit on it and ruin your loaf
~Counting the seeds in your apple will tell you how many children you will have
~If you get an egg with two yolks, it means you will have twins
~Spilling salt is bad luck, but if you quickly throw some over your left shoulder, it will ward off the bad luck

I also made this blog post into a Flickr slideshow. You can view it 
here.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Crista,

    The only food superstition I knew about before your post was the salt one. Interesting blog post and nice pictures on your Flickr account.

    I have setup my Flickr account as well. Go to my blog to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely have heard a few of these. There are so many superstitions related to food. I know for my family, we eat noodles every birthday and holiday - noodles are for long life (which also means, its a bad idea to cut noodles in half so they fit in the pot). There's also a saying in our family that if you drop a fork at the dinner table, you will have a male visitor (a spoon is the female) version. Super interesting article!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I did see the noodle superstition, but I didn't run across the spoon/fork one. I like it! Visitors are fun!

      Delete
  3. I keep throwing oranges at Halle Berry and Beyonce but none of them will fall in love with me. Life is so cruel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is cruel! But if you are close enough to throw oranges at them, you are luckier than most ;)

      Delete
  4. I chuckled when I read the one about gifting someone parsley. That would be so petty! And for the bubbles in coffee, o how I wish. I'd be making coffee all day (actually I already do that). Great pictures by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the parsley one was my favorite because that's just weird!
      I need to make more coffee, also!

      Delete
  5. Very funny and interesting post Crista! Definitely enjoyed reading this. Nice Photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't heard any of these before. Very interesting post. Thanks for sharing, Crista!

    ReplyDelete